Back to School Basics
As we begin a new school year there are some very important items to keep in mind:
- Check all auto-injectors (Epi-Pens and Allerjects) for expiration dates. Make sure your child’s school has an updated device.
- Fill out and return proper documentation to your child’s school regarding allergies.
- Speak to your child’s teacher/bus driver/principal and make sure they are aware of your child’s allergies and have an action plan.
- Ask where your child’s auto-injector will be kept and ask if all staff members have been trained in how to use both the Epi-Pen and the Allerject. Staff should be trained and retrained annually.
- Be mindful of others’ allergies. Remember to avoid packing nut products for school or after-school events. This includes peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, etc.
- Remember – you are your child’s advocate. Do not hesitate to ensure that their safety is at the forefront of their education.